Monday, January 21, 2013

What exactly am I talking about?

A bit of history.  Okay, kinda lame, but its what I thought about a few weeks ago when I started posting pictures and information on Facebook about what I like to do -- collect militaria.  I'm a lawyer by trade.   I've been practicing for nearly 20 years.   I've been collecting militaria for nearly 30 years. I like the militaria better.   Over my years of collecting, I've had swords, firearms, uniforms, headgear, badges and accoutrements from several nations.  The items I have owned ranged in date from 1680 to 1945.   It has been a pleasure to own and study them. Unlike most collectors, I do not keep a large number of items in my collection.  I have typically collected in one historical era and moved to the next.  Currently, my area of interest in the U.S. Civil War.   Is about my third or fourth time to cycle through this period.  However,  I can say that the 18th and 19th centuries (including the U.S.Civil War) and  the WWII era catch my interest.

What I plan to do with this blog  is to discuss one item per post.   Some will be from my collection (current or past) and some will not.   The discuss will center around what the item is, its origins,intended purpose, design features and, if possible,  what the item may have seen.   You see, that is what really interests me -- what this sword or firearm might have seen and who could have used it.   Some collectors like the pristine.  Not me.  I like a firearm or edged weapon that wasn't crated up.  The more dings and wear the better.  To me, the more story there is to tell.

Anyway, that's the plan.